Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Where Kurt Vonnegut and Janet Jackson see eye to eye

So, here's an update. As if you care, you glib sods.

I found a place! To stay! And then paid a crazy sum of money to rent it. In SA I could almost buy it for the price. But it is nice. I'm living in the shadow of the Burj Dubai, soon to be the tallest building in the world. Outside my window, I can see the nascent Dubai Mall, soon to be the largest mall in the world.

My kitchen is pretty and fully fitted, such that if I had any pots or crockery I could fashion a crude meal for myself. I have a walk-in cupboard.

What I don't have is furniture. I lounge nightly (in surprising comfort) on a bed of air. Which sounds cooler than a blow up mattress.

Yesterday (after two consecutive days of no bathing and no going to the bathroom) my water was connected. However, for some reason the geyser didn't heat up, and I ended up with a cold shower this morning. Which would have been great if I hadn't set the airconditioner to icicle mode.

I have yet to test the badminton and squash courts in the building, mainly because I don't have my racquets here yet. Where are the table tennis tables?

I do go for a swim in the mornings, which is quite nice. The water is warmer than what currently comes out of my tap. There's a lifeguard at the pool from 7:30 to 22:30 every day. I spoke to him yesterday. His name is Edgar. He's from the Philippines. Back home he worked as a casting technician (setting bones and stuff) in a hospital for fifteen years. He came here to find his El Dorado, and instead ends up staring at his toes all day. That's the way it goes.

I ate camel at the company function the other night. It tasted like overspiced boerewors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a camera? I'd love to see some photos.